Wednesday 28 November 2012

Rear suspension and brakes

Rear suspension and brakes

There were no great surprises here after discovering the requirement to have a Hydra mechanical OEM calliper from Rally Design, if you do not use that part then your are on your own in terms of design. Once you know it is used it fits well allowing a 15" wheel but I think anything smaller would be a problem as that calliper although light weight is a big calliper as compared to say a VW golf part.

The suspension all bolts together as described in the build manual. The exception is the handbrake that I had to change the design of because of the GRP racing seat fit. In one of the picture you can see some of the modifications to the universal handbrake cable. I made a nylon bush and brass nipple to make things work smoothly. I had to remove the loop at the end of the handbrake cable as it fouled my alloy wheel rim.





I am not particularly happy with the location of the brake pipe lug so I will have another look at that after the engine fit. The brake pipe could be subject to heat from the exhaust pipe.

References

Contents http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/sylva-j15-is-kit-car-designed-by-jeremy.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Im also building a J15 (2 years + in so far!) and I used the hydra mechs. I wish I'd seen your blog a while back as I didnt think the cable could be routed around the shock absorber so swapped the mechanical linkages over to give a more favourable cable run. Now I cant adjust them evenly and suspect I broke the internals on one side. Unfortunatley Rally Design dont sell them anymore and I cant find a part number to get one from VW/Audi.
    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where the vw reference comes from, I quised rd and they denighed any vw connection. they said they had it made for them by hydra to an OEM spec. it looks like a vw golf mk4 but I have some of these and they are much smaller. I am not happy with the current arrangement perhaps I will email Paul Collingwood and see what he did. I wonder if the willwood mechanical caliper either fits or is any better.

      Delete
    2. They look identical to my wife's Mk5 Golf. Will probably have to find out for sure if I cant correct my handbrake inbalance.
      The only other builder I know of using the hydra mech was a chap called Chet in the states who has a Hyabusa powered J15 which I think JP built to rolling chassis stage. The rest are the Sierra caliper.

      Delete
    3. According to a chap on the Lowcost forum "Jenco" they are from a VW Passat and looking at various examples on ebay they do look identical.

      Delete
  2. Just read that thread and I can see you have gone through the same thought process as me, thats what led me to swap the handbrake actuation mechanism over to run the cables below the driveshaft. Great cable run but cant get even pull on brakes now!!

    ReplyDelete