Road trialsTook it out on the road today, taxed, insured, registered. Fitted the aero screen for better comfort needs more wind deflection. Not fitted side screens as I don't know how to get in to it with them fitted.
Good points* The road holding and ride quality are very good better than expected.
* The gearbox ratios although not perfect are better than the Westfield getting 40mph in 1st.
Bad points* Far too much vibration at certain speeds +/- 2500rpm, esp in town in traffic and can be irritating to drive. Vibration maximum at 50Mph in 5th, 30Mph in 4th.
* Engine hunts when moving in traffic. Can promote a kangaroo like response unless you are quick with the clutch. All the web searches indicate a problem with the ICV or PAS over pressure switch.
* Keep forgetting indicators need a sounder to remind me they are on.
* When fitting the screen the rear view mirror needs relocated. Further brackets etc to be made.
* Needs running lights
* Sharp projections below the steering lock
* Added cover to bottom of steering lock to remove sharp edges (that should have been a problem at IVA but was overlooked thank goodness).
Mods so far
* I have subsequently checked the PAS switch and indeed it was in the wrong state - Obviously I have no PAS no kangaroo throttle when wire connected to correct ground.
* Modified the offside and nearside engine mounts and introduced a rubber sandwich. This has had a dramatic effect on the resonance at 2500rpm. It is not perfect but much improved.
* Modified location for rear view mirror
* Added a Cobra sun visor to act as a wind deflector.
* Mapin pizzo buzzer to indicators to stop me signalling permanently.
|Engine mount sandwitch|
|Proposed nearside sandwich mounts|
|Revised engine steady|